It's just us now...

Yesterday I came to the (almost shocking) realization that it's just us now... Just me and my girls.  I found a new sense of deep respect and compassion for single moms during this tough time. 



As my home country, South Africa stares lockdown in the face today my feelings deepen even more so.  Being alone with high levels of anxiety and my OCD can make it even worse.  I think of single moms everywhere and I'm wondering how they're going to do it. 

I feel privileged with my circumstances and so grateful that we stay in a small compound and in a country that has taken precautionary measures early on.  If I have to go to the convenience store I can leave the girls in the car for 10 minutes and know no one is going to steal them.  Or I can leave them home for 15 minutes while they're engaged and get a quick run in around our house.

It's my third week of having the girls home 24/7 and it can get tough.  Most days are fine, but some days I feel like running away.  We do school work in the morning and try to get outside as much as possible in the afternoons.

Yes - we can still go for a walk, have lunch in the park under the trees, see the ocean and drive by our friend's houses and smile and say hello.  In a lot of places, this is not the case.

I want to encourage you today.  If you know any single parents, please reach out during this tumultuous time and ask if you can get them anything from the store.

I am petrified when I think of what might happen if I get the virus and need to be hospitalized.
I am not an official single mom, but my husband works away and we've only seen him 11 full days since this crazy year started.  Only every second weekend.  Last weekend, only one full day.  He had to fly back because domestic flights were being suspended until further notice.  I don't even know if we'll see him within the next month.
It's my daughter's birthday tomorrow.  Next month it's my other little munchkin's birthday.  I am doing this alone.  And it sucks!

It's just us now.  And it's tiring...

Here are some of the ways I've been coping;

Social media / the news can overwhelm me completely so I'm putting away my phone and stopping the scrolling.
I try to focus on the things only I can control, like:
-My positive attitude
-My own social distancing
-My kindness & grace
-Finding fun things to do at home
I check in on friends more.  I can encourage them or just listen to their frustrations and it reminds me I'm not the only one feeling this way.
I do a full-body stretch daily.  It helps release some stress.
A biggie for me is practicing gratitude. 

I read this quote the other day:  ''Okay, but honestly, how privileged are so many of us that during a global pandemic, we can just stay warm at home, reading, working, still being educated, creating, talking to our loved ones, with little worries and a fridge stocked with food?''

Do remind yourself to be grateful today.

Sending lots of light and love,
xo Zelda










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Resilience

Slowing down