Nervous...

As I'm venturing through this photography journey of mine, I often find myself in situations I've never been in and it's an amazing learning experience. I've more than often been pushed waaay out of my comfort zone.
Like Neale Donald Walsch said: "Life begins at the end of your comfort zone".
It's never been more true.

My body doesn't handle stress very well physically... luckily it's got a "delayed response" so I only realize it a few weeks later & not the day of my event or shoot.

When I first bought my  DSLR camera I had a dream in the back of my mind. I wasn't really sure what it was, but it had something to do with photography.
I think.

I was a dental assistant. Before that I worked in a wood shop. I never really knew what I wanted to do 'when I grow up'... I just loved capturing memories. I was the one with the camera at the get-togethers and parties.
I really wanted a proper camera. So I bought an entry level DSLR on credit with a kit lens. I didn't even know what I had just bought, honestly.  Shortly thereafter I booked two shoots with friends' kids on a sunny Saturday morning. Not charging anything and not really knowing what I was doing... I had an amazing time!
Something lit up in me, it was like my soul caught fire... I started doing photography part time as a hobby and actually charging money for it.

Then, an opportunity that was about to change my life hit me in the face. Really hard.
My friend worked for one of the best photographers in town and she was moving away. She suggested I go work for him.
It was a tough decision.  After my dental career I got a job as a sales rep and made very good money. I was happy where I was. I was really good at it! Now my salary was going to be cut in half, with no benefits, no company car or phone, and no driving around and smiling at butterflies anymore...

I couldn't do it. It just wasn't worth it. I was going to swap my very well paid, awesome job for assisting another photographer, building albums, printing photos and answering the phone. I just couldn't.

----------------------------------


It was a warm winter's afternoon on the netball courts. The sun was hot but the wind was cold. Our league had just started. I was about to go on court when my husband came running towards me from a distance. "We can do it! We can do it!" he shouted. I had NO idea what he was talking about...

He had actually gone and worked out to the last cent of our budget.  "We can do it! YOU can do it!" he said. I was so mad at him for 'distracting' me before my game I almost slapped him. We had already talked about this and it just didn't make sense.
After the first quarter I ran up to him and asked if we could reàlly do it. He smiled and said YES. I haven't stopped smiling since.
In the last four years of working for the best mentor ever, I've become the studio's full time lifestyle photographer, have started doing events and weddings and I'm basically running the studio... It's something else I'm telling you... knowing that this is what you're supposed to be doing. Absolutely loving your job. Having your passion be a part of every. single. day.  Living your dream... 
(I could go on for days)

Why did I start writing this again? Oh yes! Because I cant sleep. I'm photographing my first BIRTH tomorrow morning!
I'm extremely nervous. I'm almost nauseous. I've never done this before. I have some idea of what to expect, i gave birth to my daughter two years ago. But from a photographers point of view?


No. Idea.

I can feel my stomach turning. I've done all the research I can, spoke to my boss about some technicalities, said a little prayer and got some motivation from a dear friend.:
"She believed she could, so she did"

Thanks Ruchel!  I believe I can, so I'm going to!

If it's out of my comfort zone, I'm going for it!

When was the last time you pushed yourself out of your comfort zone?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Resilience

Slowing down