High expectations...

  I've always been pretty good with a pencil and a brush in the hand.  I'm one of those lucky people who's both 'artsy' and athletic.

I had art as a subject in school and did really well. 
After school everybody's priorities change and we often bury some of our talents.  Asking "what am I meant to be in life"...

I was definitely not counting on becoming an artist.


A few months ago I decided to unpack all of my art gear and make myself an art room in the house.  I felt really inspired with all my paintings and drawings up on the walls.  I picked up the paintbrush to start a painting and I froze. 
I was scared to death.
I hadn't painted anything in seven years.  What if I'd lost my talent?  Thinking what if I draw something and it turns out to be crap?

A few days went by and one of my girlfriends invited me to an 'art class'.  Isn't it funny how God works?  Nobody knew how scared I was... but He did.  This would be the opportunity for me to learn again.  If I'm around other artists surely something would come back to me...

We were four girlfriends who attended.  I was in my element.  I loved every second of it.  I couldn't believe how much fun this was, how satisfying!

Sometimes we have such high expectations...  from situations, people... Ourselves.  We forget to have fun with the things that's supposed to make us happy.  Since art class I started a new painting, but didn't finish it.  I still can't decide on a background.  Guess I'm scared of how it's gonna come out...  (My point exactly)

Tonight I picked up the brush and just started painting.  I didn't do any planning, I just wanted to let the creativity flow through me. 
I came up with a black heart in the middle of a red blob...  (I know...)  Still being a little scared & probably not giving myself enough credit, I painted something a three year old would be able to.  But it felt good.  Knowing I put a lot of feeling into it and expressed myself is satisfying enough. 

I'll get there again... Rome wasn't built in a day...

All my Love
Zee

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Resilience

Slowing down